So where would you live if you could live anywhere?
A few years back, Frank read an article in the Wall Street Journal about acouple who lived in different places around the world for a month at a time. Other than traveling from country to country, much of the living costs like rent and food were fixed and comparable to what they were paying at home. It sounded pretty exciting. We set aside the article for “someday.”
Well, “someday” has arrived and we are in the midst of planning for our big adventure. First, order of business — where do we go? We each have a wide-ranging “bucket list” of places we wanted to see so we began to whittle them down by setting some parameters:
- Places with warm weather = lighter suitcases
- Good public transportation options
- English speaking (at least for the inaugural leg of the trip)
- Good healthcare (as Frank needs monthly blood tests)
- Somewhere we’ve never been but always wanted to go
The verdict? We will begin with months in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa after a brief visit with Nick in LA. We decided to bypass the direct flight to Melbourne in favor of a 3-day layover in Fiji. Why? Because Frank always wanted to say he’d been to Fiji!